JUNIOR PROJECT MANAGER, APPRAISALS & CLAIMS (JOB001)
Posted: January 31, 2022
New York, NY – Remote
Based in New York City and fully remote, the function of the Junior Project Manager, Appraisals & Claims is to serve as an active professional liaison between Art Peritus’s clients, appraisers, insurance adjustors and vendors for multi-category appraisal valuations and insurance claims. Ready to roll up your sleeves – you assist with the oversight and daily management of both internal and client-facing projects. You are highly motivated, a proactive problem solver, and a magician at multi-tasking all while providing mature, discreet, and professional service to our clients and your colleagues.
This role works closely with the Lead Project Manager, our in-house and global network of appraisers as well as leadership – you anticipate client needs, facilitate onsite inspections, ensure deadlines, execute appraisals from start to finish, and assist with project quotes and proposals from single to complex multi-category projects.
Integral to our process you ensure all relevant information is communicated, cross-referenced, and accurately accounted for anytime we are charged with the care and oversight of a collection, claim or conservation project. As someone with a natural ability to prioritize numerous concurrent projects, you are a thought-leader who takes true ownership of your work and excels in an exciting, fun, and fast-paced environment.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
- Manages complex logistics of multiple simultaneous projects, including the process and protocols which need to be implemented for planning and execution of concurrent projects related to appraisals, claims, and conservation.
- Performs and coordinates onsite inspections determining and organizing the necessary team of subject matter experts; assess and verify requirements of proposed timelines; ensure client promises are fulfilled; arrange for proper art handling; ensure all deadlines are adhered to; and overall integrity of business standards.
- Organizes necessary pre/post project specific meetings, serving as keystone of communication between management, clients, insurance adjustors, specialists, conservators, and art handlers.
- Collect and upload all project data (ie photography, property detail) for appraisal needs from clients, appraisers, etc to ensure every lot in the appraisal is accounted for, appraised and reconciled upon project completion
- Liaise with external specialists to obtain service agreements, confirm rates, process invoices, update bios, property comps and market analysis adding to File Maker database
- Create & share database log-in access for all systems (File maker, Server, Photo Station, etc)
- Maintain Art Peritus work-file & image library of all appraiser reference material for USPAP compliance and historical records; follow-up post project with all key stakeholders to ensure files are shared, uploaded and complete to close out or archive projects.
- Proofs appraisal reports and troubleshoot bugs with software developer prior to sign-off by FMD and issuance to client; ensuring format, layout and style are consistent and correct; market analysis, lot and comparable images are included as necessary.
- Tracks hours, costs, and expenses for projects and claims as related to specialists and vendors; ensuring accuracy of hours, payments, budget, and schedule; anticipating obstacles, proactively problem solving and flagging updates to keep key stakeholders informed
- Manages client expectations of conservation, installation, delivery, and completion of appraisals, claims and restoration of artwork
BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
- Develop strong in-depth knowledge of Art Peritus appraisal services, required project details, relevant legalities, and USPAP or IRS issues to field incoming calls and enquiries from current clients and prospective clients to generate and procure new business.
- Collaborates with outside experts and clients to initiate, cultivate, and maintain relationships and improve, build, and expand business services
- Coordinates timely RFP requests with all key stakeholders, obtaining quotes, determining reasonable & fair costs, and selecting most suitable options for project demands, deadlines, and budget limitations, as well as flagging potential challenges in advance of committing to project
- Onboard all new specialists, vendors, or clients on project management software and all applicable project SOP’s necessary.
- Actively participates in sourcing and selling of Art Peritus services within the art community to raise business profile, build alliances and our network with key industry influencers
CANDIDATE DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES:
- Collaborate with recognized industry experts and professionals to expand knowledge, experience, and exposure to the art market
- Support the effort and expansion of Art Peritus brand awareness and firm services
- Continuing education and professional development opportunities as approved by leadership
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS (required and preferred):
- Bachelor’s degree required, PMP certification a +
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience, auction house setting, fine art shipping or similar a +
- Knowledge and exposure to art conservation, registration, and art handling
- Ability and willingness to learn Art Peritus systems including Filmmaker and Trello
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Acrobat Pro and MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook)
- Ability to work onsite, handle, inspect and/or take photographs of works of art in a variety of conditions, spaces, and environments; as well as create written or recorded descriptions
- Talent to effectively communicate and respond with superior written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and client service skills, sensitive to client confidentiality
- Expertise in representing the organization and brand with client and key project partners
- Ability to listen, anticipate, work collaboratively, independently, and creatively problem solve
- Strong project management skills including knack to multi-task, prioritize workload, manage multiple processes, and follow-up with acute attention to detail
- Action oriented with talent to excel in fast-paced, client-focused deadline-driven environment
- Ability to receive and implement feedback and remain calm in challenging situations
- Possess a strong business acumen with ability to compile and analyze data
- Hold a valid driver’s license, with willingness to travel within the region and domestically
- Secondary language a +
- Flexibility to work outside traditional business hours when necessary
Department: Project Management
Reports to: Lead Project Manager & Managing Director
Terms of Employment: Full-Time, Permanent, $45-60,000, Full Medical, 401k match, PTO, Life & Disability
IMPORTANT – Submit the following in addition to your cover letter and resume (PDF format)
- 3 professional references including name, title, business, current phone, email, and your connection